Teams of Western Digital employees engaged in eco-friendly volunteerism in support of our philanthropic pillar to address environmental issues within our communities around the world. We only have one Earth and maintaining the environment is a cause that is completely embraced by our firm. Earth is our home and a clean environment is essential for healthy living for all of us.
We greatly encourage our employees to volunteer, and offer many opportunities for them to participate. Working in and with Western Digital communities enables our worldwide employee population to make a substantial impact jointly.
We are devoted to preserving and protecting our planet. One such instance is through our volunteer events held in recognition of Earth Day that took place at our locations around the world. Employees rallied this last spring to reveal exactly how much we care about the environment.
Our 2nd annual worldwide volunteer job celebrating Earth Day has been a huge success! Over 1,500 employees volunteered, providing more than 5,000 hours of support, to clean up beaches, creeks, roads and marinas, and plant trees in various events across several Western Digital communities. Employees rolled their sleeves up and were not afraid to have a little dirty to produce this inspirational project therefore impactful!
Digging directly in, here are some event highlights from around the world:
- Tree Planting, Shanghai, China: Worker volunteers planted 30 trees in Danshui Riverside for its 9th year in a row.
- Un-tapped Crafts and Awareness Session on World Water Day, India: Worker volunteers created handmade collaterals which can be used by women for water campaigns within their communities and schools to raise awareness and activity around availability of clean drinking water.
- Plogging, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia: Worker volunteers adopted the current idea of “plogging” — picking up trash while jogging — in Kelana Jaya Lake Park, a favorite jogging spot not far in the Western Digital site.
- Plastics Waste Collection, Prachin Buri, Thailand: Worker volunteers gathered plastic waste for proper disposal in the region around the Western Digital site to inspire basic change in human attitude and behaviour about plastics.
- Kayak Cleanup, San Jose, USA: Worker volunteers paddled out to the Alviso Marina in two-person kayaks to pull 62 lbs (28 kg) of floating garbage and debris out of the water.
From Shanghai, to Northern California, to Israel, and all around the Earth, the Earth’s surface has a little less garbage and a little extra sparkle as a result of Western Digital employees. We are thankful for the commitment and dedication of our personnel to concentrate their efforts in helping preserve this planet and make it a cleaner, better place for all of us . Giving back and reacting to the demands of our communities is a company priority and we think that more can be attained when we do it together!
To find out more about Western Digital’s community relations program, please read our previous posts . And also to research our recent statistics stories all about climate action, check out Data Makes Possible.